2018 Reading Survey



2018 came and went faster than I thought possible. I read a decent amount. I grew as a person and I began to prepare myself for the loss I will face in 2019 (my dog has lymphoma). While I wish I could pause time for us, I'm ready for 2019. I'm cherishing our moments and charging ahead. Enough sad, let's talk about books. As always a thank you to Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner for putting this together.

2018 Reading Stats

Number Of Books You Read: 67
Number of Re-Reads: 4
Genre You Read The Most From: I think I kept it mixed up this year, maybe.


1. Best Book You Read In 2018? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2018 release vs. backlist)

I would have to say You by Caroline Kepnes. I read a lot of great books, but this one put me in a massive book hangover. I can't believe it took me so long to buy a copy and read it. Just wow.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Probably I Hope This Reaches Her Too by R.H. Sin. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as his other works. I gave it 3 stars which is relatively low for me.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? 
Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M McManus. I was a good kind of surprised by this one and I can't quite put my finger on why.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I think my most "pushed" book this year was Little Monsters by Kara Thomas. I actually got two people to read it and they both enjoyed it. Definitely made me smile.

5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
Well, just like last year, I didn't really read any series. My first book of the year was a series starter that I rather enjoyed. Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson was just something I couldn't put down. I hope the thrill continues in book 2. My only other series this year was a reread of the entire Twilight saga and I still love it. I was filled with nostalgia for the books that brought me back into reading 10 years ago.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Kelly deVos. Not only is she such a kind human, but she wrote a great book. I loved the blogger aspect as well as the jumps between past and present. Definitely pick up Fat Girl on a Plane.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
If you've been here for a while, then you know that I don't often read non-fiction novels. This year I read Adrift: A True Story of Love, Loss, and Survival at Sea by Tami Oldham Ashcraft. I saw the trailer for the movie with Shailene Woodley and I was pretty determined to read the book first. I wanted to know what was fact and what was for dramatic effect. Let me tell you, they match pretty well. I highly recommend both the book and the movie.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I don't like to repeat myself so I'm going to go with The Lost World by Michael Crichton. I'm so sad that he's not around to continue these books if he even wanted to. I just want to live the magic of dinosaurs longer.

9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I would reread most of these, but if I had to pick one that wasn't already a reread then I would choose either A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sara J Maas or Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. These are books that made me smile and I would love to relive that feeling.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
The Dark Between Stars by Atticus. I bought this on a whim yesterday at Target using a gift card I got for Christmas and proceeded to sit at Desert Toyota reading it from start to finish.

11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Gert from I Hate Fairyland by Skottie Young. I don't really feel the need to elaborate on that one. It's just Gert, for sure.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
The Last Time I'll Write About You by Dawn Lanuza.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
I don't believe I have an answer for this.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read? 
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. She's an amazing writer and I need to read more of her work.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
Notice of Eviction from page 93 of The Last Time I'll Write About You by Dawn Lanuza. I'm sure there is one I love more, but this one sticks out as this past few months a weight has been lifted off of my heart.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?

According to my Goodreads Year in Books my shortest book is An Adventure Awaits by Kathleen Geiger with 20 pages. My longest book without a doubt was Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer with 756 pages. I don't know if the page counts are accurate because I know sometimes they're a little off, but I think these are still my shortest and longest books anyway.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most? (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
You by Caroline Kepnes and the book hangover was real.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR? (you will go down with this ship!) (OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Simon and Blue.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year?
Luke and Grizzy from Me, My Dog, and a Sheep by Melissa Mullamphy. It's a love between a boy and his dog and it is beautiful.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously?
I actually read a lot of books by new authors this year so I'd have to say The Lost World. I don't want to pick a reread like Breaking Dawn, which I do love.

21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I wasn't peer pressured into reading anything this year. I did pick up books that some of my favorite booktubers enjoyed though. Those being I Hate Fairyland, You, and Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Simon. Maybe Charlie from Midnight Sun. I didn't really crush all that hard this year.

23. Best 2018 debut you read?
Fat Girl on a Plane by Kelly deVos. I still want more.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Other Side of Lost by Jessi Kirby. Those mountains were very clear in my head. My mind may not have formed them accurately, but man it was beautiful.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sara J Maas. I loved that it had a Christmas feel and, while some may find it boring, it was perfect to me. I wanted more of that normal, this is what families do aspect. It was a nice break from the war in the previous book.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
Midnight Sun by Trish Cook had me in tears. That ending really got me. I was an absolute mess.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
A Place for Pluto by Stef Wade. It is a picture book, but it is so adorable. I love it.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
None.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
I have no idea. Probably none.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. It has always been my least favorite book and movie in the series. It just irritates me and it always will. I love it as a piece of a whole series, but ugh.


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2018?
I didn't do as much blog hopping as I would have liked so please, recommend me some fantastic blogs.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2018?
I would have to say either my review of The Other Side of Lost or my review of Fat Girl on a Plane.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
The Beauty and the Beast book tag. If you haven't done it yourself then tag, you're it!

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The Tucson Festival of Books as always. I can't wait for it to come around again in 2 months. It's coming early this year! Yay!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018?

Receiving a signed copy of American Drifter by Heather Graham and Chad Michael Murray. Being added to the acknowledgements of The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas. Having my last name used in Hidden Pieces by Paula Stokes on purpose. Meeting Stephanie Elliot, finally! I have quite a few more, but I'll end it there.

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

Keeping up with it honestly. I've been working so much and when I'm not working I just want to sleep.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

My most popular post is my review of 
The Other Side of Lost. That makes me so happy.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My Beauty and the Beast Book Tag. Maybe my Fall Tag?

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I don't have one this time. I'll have to adventure more in 2019.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
My reading goal was to read 36 books this year and I was lucky enough to surpass that by reading 67 books. I wanted to reread the entire Twilight series and I did that as well as read the short story that goes with for the first time. I also read a book outside of my comfort zone and I liked it.


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
The exact same answer as last year. I never got around to it. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. I need to finish this series. I'm so behind.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
Something Like Gravity by Amber Smith and How to Make Friends with the Dark by Kathleen Glasgow.

3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
There are so many to choose from. Again, But Better by Christine Riccio. Also, Supermarket by Logic. I don't know if he is publishing under Logic or not, but I'm excited either way.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi is the only one that comes to mind in this moment, but I know there are a lot more.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?
Find my happy medium.

6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M McManus.

And that's a wrap on my 2018 reading year! Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2019 brings you joy and more books. Happy Reading!
Xoxo,
Gabriella

Comments

  1. I love this tag so much! Awesome answers. I hope you have a great 2019! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a fabulous 2019 as well. Stop by any time! (:

      Delete
  2. Congrats on just about doubling your reading goal in 2018! Hope you get to read lots more great books in 2019. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I read quite a few picture books for my own enjoyment. I'm hoping to read just as much next year, but I set my goal lower so I won't be pressured or disappointed. I hope you read lots of wonderful books in 2019. (:

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart