The Deal Review

The Deal by Elle Kennedy
5 Stars
This was my first full on new adult novel and I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did to be honest. On page one we find out that Hannah had previously been raped and I was surprised. The rape is brought up a few times throughout the book, but it's never described (thankfully). Hannah has since moved on and has developed a crush on someone who seems to not even know she exists. Garrett is not doing well in one of his courses and is seeking help from one of the few people who seems to be doing well. Now Garrett is not Hannah's crush, but he thinks he can help her get noticed. Thus, the deal. Both of our main characters have experienced some sort of trauma and we get small glimpses into how it has changed them. When it comes to these traumas, I really like how Ms. Kennedy made it so outsiders normally wouldn't suspect these things had happened. This is typically how life is, people hide things and we don't know everyone's story. I thoroughly enjoy the friendships within this novel. I feel like I can relate to them and find my friends within the characters. I might be the only one who does this, but I love to compare my surroundings to those in books and television shows. As for the steamy scenes, they were also enjoyable. I found them quite realistic. My only problem was the use of the term "my sex" as a way to describe Hannah's sexual organs. I've just never heard anyone my age ever describe their vagina as their sex. I'd actually really love to hear your input on this. The book alternates between Hannah and Garrett and I have to say, as much as I enjoyed Hannah's chapters, I really enjoyed reading from Garrett's perspective. I can't wait to pick up the companion novel which follows Garrett's friend Logan. Fingers crossed that I love it just as much or perhaps even more. What are your favorite new adult novels? Have you read this one? I'd love to hear from you!
Xoxo,
Gabriella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart