Unpregnant Review

Unpregnant by Jenni Hendriks & Ted Caplan

5 Stars

This book caught my eye when I was roaming the isles at my local Barnes & Noble while waiting for an appointment to start. How could I resist a young adult novel addressing such a controversial topic? Well the obvious answer is that I couldn't.

Veronica is a seventeen year-old, straight A student who finds herself pregnant. Unpregnant follows Veronica on her journey to procure an abortion. Her journey is filled with all kinds of hilarity and roadblocks that only prove her determination to secure the future that she has envisioned for herself.

I have seen a few negative reviews for this book simply based on the abortion factor and how having a baby does not ruin a girl's life. However, it does not try and hide the content that is within so I would shy away if that is upsetting to you. I will say Unpregnant is not a campaign about teen pregnancy ruining one's life.

I honestly really appreciated the read. Not everything goes right along the way and it isn't tinted with rose colored glasses. Deep down it is about a girl who is making a choice for her body and her future, but also about friendship. Despite not talking to each other for the majority of high school Veronica is accompanied by her childhood best friend and it is definitely awkward. But it goes to show that some friends will be there no matter what.

I highly recommend reading Unpregnant. I feel like it is important to highlight other choices as much as the more accepted ones are. Has anyone else read this one? I would love to hear your thoughts. Happy reading.

Xoxo,

Gabriella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart