The Graveyard Book Review

 


                       The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

3 Stars

This year I wanted to start off by changing up the vibes. Last year was a very smutty reading year and there isn't anything wrong with that, in fact, I love that. However, I snagged this book on my first vacation with my boyfriend at a local bookshop and the sentimentality is what really drove this choice. That and it was a short read.

I want to start by saying that this was in fact, a good book. I gave it three stars because I wasn't dying to know what happened next. With the length of this book, I should have been able to finish it the same day that I started it, but that just wasn't the case here. It took me a full week despite the fact that I wasn't really working and school had not started yet.

The idea of an orphaned child growing up in a graveyard, raised by the spirits of those buried there definitely intrigued me. I've also heard so many good things about Neil Gaiman's writing and I want to start reading more of his work.

The Graveyard Book is really well written and the concept is fascinating. The middle grade rating confuses me a little, but that could just be because it's not something I would have read at that age. Given that it's such a short novel, I can't say much without feeling like I am spoiling the plot for anyone.

Nobody "Bod" Owens is a peculiar little boy as anyone raised in a graveyard would be. He yearns to learn and adventure, but is confined to the graveyard for the most part in order to keep him safe. He isn't exactly aware of the threat that the spirits are afraid of, but listens anyways. They raised him from toddlerhood after all.

I think one of my favorite details is that Neil went through and talked about so many headstones and the spirits that they belong to. When a character is introduced we are told what their stone says and their birth/death year. These people range throughout so many different eras that it gives quite the character to each spirit in the graveyard.

If you need a quick read with a somewhat spooky vibe, I recommend this one. Don't be put off by my rating. I just really despise long chapters and if the plot isn't super gripping, then I will actually avoid committing to the next long chapter. Give Neil Gaiman a chance, I know I am. On to the next one.

Have you read this book? Or any other of his works? I'd love to know your thoughts. Happy Reading!

Xoxo,

Gabriella


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart