Beach Read Review

Beach Read by Emily Henry
4.5 Stars

Beach Read was not a book that I ever intended on picking up. Unfortunately, I judged the book by it's cover and also its title. However, I saw a TikTok where someone went through the synopsis as if it were their life and I'll admit that I was intrigued. It also wound up being the perfect book for one of my assignments.

I tried to keep an open mind going into this one. Romance is indeed up my alley, but I would have to ignore my prior judgements. Our lead, January, has discovered family secrets after the passing of her father and is having a hard time coping. She goes to this beach town to pack up his life while also working on her next novel. Of course, there has to be an irritating next door neighbor who to her shock, she knows from college. His name is Gus, a fellow author, and she loathes him.

I am pretty sure everyone who has ever read a contemporary romance can see where this is going. An enemies to lovers trope is honestly one of my favorites so I was so in. As an added bonus the novel actually has quite a bit to do with the two of them writing their own novels and the process each of them goes through to do that. This is something that I really enjoyed as I hope to one day write a novel of my own. They even turned this into a competition because why not? The whole time I watched this romance from the edge of my seat and I was in constant uncertainty of who would win this bet. I loved the fact that my hopes were not just hinging on one thing, but two things.

Another great thing about Beach Read is the fact that Emily Henry included a lot of emotions regarding the death of January's father and all of the unanswered questions that he left behind. We see her going through many stages of grief and being stuck in a few of them as well. The only person that I have lost is my grandmother, but I could appreciate this. It must be so confusing to lose someone only to find out that there was so much that you didn't actually know about them.

In the end, I gave this one 4.5 stars since it was not perfect and at one point I did enter a slump where it took me a couple of weeks to pick it back up again. It was enjoyable and I was invested in the characters and their stories. Plus, I would not mind seeing where they are now and having a sequel to this one so that boosted my rating. I'm going to have to agree with my folk in the book world that this one is worth picking up if you enjoy romance. It isn't the lightest romance, but it is there. Have you read Beach Read or any of Emily Henry's other works? I would love to talk about it in the comments. Happy reading!

Xoxo,

Gabriella



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Armchair BEA 2017 Day Two

2021 Part One Wrap-Up

Debut Author Bash 2017: Kate Hart